What is Instagram?
Instagram is an American photo and video-sharing social networking service owned by Facebook, Inc. It was created by Kevin Systrom and Mike Krieger, and launched in October 2010 on iOS.
Nowadays, instagram is one of the most actively used social media platform. The number of instagram users are growing day by day. Many of the Facebook users are now shifted to Instagram.
Date launched: 6 October 2010
Current Active Users: 1 Billion+
Headquarters: Menlo Park, CA
All you need to know before you Deactivate or Delete Instagram Account
Basically, You have two options whether you want to deactivate or permanently delete your Instagram account and it totally depends on your choice. So without wasting time let’s understand the difference between deactivating and deleting an instagram account.
Deactivating your Instagram account: Deactivating account is temporary, once you deactivate your instagram account, All your account information along with your followers, videos, profile, photos, likes, and comments will be hidden from all users until you start using your instagram account again. In case, if you want to restore all of your account information you can simply login to your account.
Deleting your Instagram account: Deleting instagram account is a permanent process. Once you delete your account, it cannot be undone or restored. Once you delete your Instagram account, all of your profile or account data will be deleted permanently including photos, videos, followers, likes, comments etc. Though your account data is deleted permanently, you can’t login to Instagram again with the same username. So, be cautious before you delete your instagram account. You might go for deactivating your instagram account temporary.
Note: If you try to deactivate or delete your Instagram account through the mobile app, you will not find any option to do so as instagram don’t allow deactivating or deleting account through mobile app. It can only be done with a web browser. Due to this limitation, if you are looking for how to delete instagram account on android or how to delete instagram account through app, kindly note that there is no any solution available to do so. So, if you want to temporary disable your instagram account, you can simply deactivate your account by following below simple steps:
Steps to Deactivate your Instagram Account:
- Simply log into Instagram from a browser either through mobile or computer.
- Click your profile picture in the top right corner and then click ‘Edit Profile’.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and you will find an option ‘Temporarily disable my account’ at the bottom right corner which you need to tap on.
- You will get redirected to a page where you will be asked ‘Why are you disabling your account?’. You can simply choose a reason from the drop-down.
- Then you need to Re-enter your password and click on ‘Temporarily disable account’.
- Great! Your account is now deactivated and it will be hidden from other users till the time you login once again.
NOTE: As per Instagram’s usage policy, you can only deactivate your Instagram account once a week.
How to Delete Your Instagram Account: Step by Step guide.
As we have already mentioned above, like with deactivating an Instagram account, deleting instagram account can also be done only through a web browser and not the mobile app.
Steps to permanently delete your Instagram account:
- Log in to your Instagram account through mobile or laptop browser.
- Visit Instagram’s ‘Delete Your Account’ page. Choose the reason for leaving from the drop-down menu.
- Enter your password and click ‘Permanently delete my account’.
- Great! Your Instagram account is deleted.
How to Download Your Instagram Data
As we have already mentioned above, Once you delete your Instagram account, all of your account data will be deleted and it cannot be retrieved back.
However, you may want to download your Instagram data before you delete your account. This way you will have all the photos, videos etc.
Steps to download a copy of your Instagram data:
- Simply go to your Instagram profile and select ‘Settings‘.
- Tap on the ‘Privacy & Security’ tab and click ‘Request Download’.
- Confirm your Email where you would like to receive a link to your Instagram data, followed by your password.
- Great! You will receive a link to your data to email within 48 hours titled as ‘Your Instagram Data’. Click ‘Download Data’.
Precautions and Further Reading
These days, it’s important to do whatever you can to stay safe on social media and avoid becoming the victim of cybercriminals.
If you are interested in learning more ways in which you can protect your privacy online, check out our detailed guide.
Or, if you also want to delete your profile on Facebook, take a look at our step-by-step instructions.
I hope this article helps you. If yes, write down a comment below and share an article with your friends as well.